Getting an eclectic look in your home can be a wonderful idea if you just love a mixture of different styles, patterns, and colors, and you want to come up with a timeless look that nobody else has. An eclectic look will last far longer than any other trend, simply because it can never go out of style. It’s a look that is all your own, and you can create it in any way you see fit. You can really let your creative juices flow and have fun with the look!
If you’re looking for a few starter points that can help you to achieve an eclectic look, this post has you covered. Take a look and see what you can do to achieve the eclectic look in your home:
Come Up With A Color Scheme That You Love
First of all, consider coming up with a color scheme that you love. Now, in an eclectic room, you don’t have to stick rigidly to this and you can definitely get away with adding more color if you like. However, having around three colors that you’d like to feature prominently is a good idea. This is because many things can be linked together with color, whether you’re looking for pictures for your wall or furniture. You can mix as many styles as you like, but providing you have linked the colors in some way, it will look great!
If you’re unsure of what colors you should go for, consider the following:
- What moods are behind the colors you’re considering? E.g. blue can be tranquil, red can be energising, etc.
Look at a color wheel too, and you’ll be able to see which colors complement and which colors clash. Clashing colors is another great idea if you want a unique look!
Learn How To Mix Patterns
Having a bit of pattern in your home can add more texture and visual interest. Learning how to mix them together can bring a lot of fun to your home. Here are some pointers that will help you to mix patterns:
- Keep it at an odd number. 3 patterns is usually best when starting out
- Pick a pattern to feature around 60%. Then pick a color to feature 30%. Then have a color to feature 10%.
- Look at inspiration on sites like Instagram and Pinterest so you can get an idea for what works well together.
Don’t Be Afraid To Layer
Layer different items in your home to give it a cosier, more eclectic feel. Stack up your cushions, layer your rugs and throws, and find other ways to bring texture and visual interest to a room.
Create A Gallery Wall
A gallery wall is brilliant for a few reasons. If you have a suitable wall, it’ll really perk it up and enable you to show off your tastes and personality better. You can use different sizes and styles of frames to get your eclectic look, but bear the following pointers in mind:
- Take your time finding the right pictures for your wall. Don’t rush!
- Don’t just go making holes in your wall. Make sure the arrangement looks good by laying your pictures out on the floor first, and then using cardboard or newspaper to mark where you want them to go on the wall.
- Hunt around in markets, antique stores, on local artist sites, and high street stores to find the right pictures. You could even use pages from magazines, photos of your friends and family, or even an image that you’ve created yourself.
Mix And Match Your Furniture
Matching furniture is so 90s, and there’s really no need for it in this day and age! You can get away with mixing furniture by simply picking a color that joins your pieces together, or even by choosing another similar element that could possibly link the pieces. Picking matching pieces is lazy and doesn’t look the best. Mix up your furniture and you’ll realize just how much better your home can look!
Take Your Time Finding Pieces That You Love
Don’t rush when it comes to finding ornaments, pictures, plants, rugs, and anything else you want in your home decor. The key to creating an eclectic look that you’re really in love with is taking your time until you find something you’re absolutely in love with.
How will you achieve an eclectic look in your home? Use the tips here and you’ll be well on your way to a timeless look!